The intersection of domestic violence and homelessness is complex and can be confusing and overwhelming at times to navigate. A study of homeless women with children found that 80% had previously experienced domestic violence and that 57% of all homeless women report domestic violence as the immediate cause of homelessness. Over 80% of survivors entering shelters identified “finding housing I can afford” as a need, second only to “safety for myself.” Phoenix Project is actively working towards building a housing program within our agency to better serve members of Front Royal and Warren County affected by domestic and intimate partner violence.
- For legal plain-language legal advice for victims of abuse as it pertains to housing, click here: www.womenslaw.org
- For assistance with affordable housing in Virginia, click here: www.vhda.com
- Housing Search Site for Virginia: www.virginiahousingsearch.com
VAWA: Are you a victim of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking? Do you live in federally assisted housing? A law called VAWA, the Violence Against Women Act, might help you. For more information, click on the brochure, available in English and Spanish.
VAWA and Section 8: For survivors of abuse in Section 8 housing, there is a self-certification HUD form that you can use to document the abuse so as to add your name to the lease and remove the abuser’s name in some situations. To access HUD form 5382, click here. To access HUD Form 5383 click here.
Centralized Housing Intake: CHI is a centralized point of entry for households in Warren County experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness. The process involves an initial screening and assessment followed by referrals to specialized agencies. Click here for their brochure (insert PDF).
For legal help regarding eviction and the eviction process, please contact:
- Choices Women’s Shelter: (540) 743-4414 | www.choicesofpagecounty.org
- The Laurel Center: (540) 667-6466 | www.thelaurelcenter.org
- Response Women’s Shelter: (540) 459-5161 | www.responseva.org
- First Step: (540) 434-0295 | www.firststepva.com
- Winchester Rescue Mission: (540) 667-5379 | www.winrescue.org
- New Eve Maternity Home: (540) 450-0775 | www.newevematernityhome.org
- House of Hope Men’s Shelter: (540) 635-2466 | www.warrencountyhomeless.org
- Salvation Army Family Shelter: (takes singles too) (540) 662-4777
- Mercy House: (540) 432- 1812 | www.themercyhouse.org
- Front Royal Thermal Shelter: (540) 892-6108 | www.thermalshelteroffrontroyal.com
For more information or to talk through your situation, reach out to a Phoenix Project Advocate at 540-635-2302. Free, confidential, and language services provided for limited English proficient clients.